Tis the Season for finals, homework, and studies. Shane took on a big load this semester and I've been so proud of his hard work to complete his classes. Currently he's researching the effects of caffeine on the human body. His hypothesis: caffeine should be a regulated drug especially for pilots because of the effects it has or something like that (he always puts things more eloquently than me).
While following his research I've gleaned some information that I JUST have to blog, I mean really, it's intense.
So in my non-formal way, because I already did my schooling and don't have to get the grade; these are some of the crazy effects Caffeine has and some of the facts on how much caffeine is in what drinks:
*Caffeine kills, there are reported deaths and the amount is different for each person: guaranteed a person will die of a caffeine overdose of 10g (Shane would cite this stuff, I'm just paraphrasing some of the things I read over his shoulder-if you want sources you'll have to leave me a comment).
*Some of the Effects of Caffeine:
*Leads to Addiction
*Central Nervous System Stimulant:Jitteriness, agitation, Insomnia, Difficulty concentrating, Rapid heart rate
*Decrease in blood flow in adults
*Growth deficiencies in infants (for all you pregnant and nursing mothers)
*Physiological stress
*Lower Metabolism, increase weight gain, increase blood pressure
*Gastrointestinal disorders
*Osteoporosis
*Acid Reflux, urinary disorders, restless leg syndrome, tremors, irritable bowel syndrome
* Increase Cholesterol levels and potential Coronary heart disease
*Okay okay we knew pop was bad for us and we side step the issue of coffee and we HAVE to have a Red Bull in the afternoon. What people REALLY want to know is "What can I get away with?"
*The body has NO use for caffeine, it's not a nutrient. You can live without EVER having caffeine. However, if 10g is a guarantee, than one 12oz Coca Cola is only .035g. That's why God gave us Agency.
*There have been overdose reported cases as low as .4g (that's 2 Rockstar Energy Shot drinks) Thankfully these were only seizures, these cases lived.
*Here is a slightly gathered list of how much caffeine is in one serving of said drinks. You can use THIS link to see more info.
| Coca Cola Classic | 35 mg Caffeine |
| Tea, Brewed | 47 mg Caffeine |
| Coffee, Instant | 57 mg Caffeine |
| Coffee, Brewed | 107.5 mg Caffeine |
| Weak Energy Drink: Player Aid Energy Shot, Nerd Energy Drink, Mountain Dew Game Fuel | 120 mg Caffeine |
| Hot Cocoa | 8 mg Caffeine |
| Average Energy Drink | 220 mg Caffeine |
| Extreme Energy Drink: ALRI Hypershot, 5150 Juice | 500+ mg Caffeine |
| Red Bull | 80+ mg Caffeine |
| Monster | 160+ mg |
| Rock Star | 120+ mg |
I saw one of my sisters get addicted to caffeine, thankfully she was able to get away from it, but I still remember her shaking. Scary stuff that you don't hear about often! Thanks for sharing! Good luck to Shane!
ReplyDelete